Finding the best gas cooktop can be invaluable to cooks of any experience level. Cooking with gas is considered the gold standard in the culinary world.
First introduced to the world two hundred years ago, the gas cooktop has been a familiar sight in kitchens all over the world. Gas is not only a safe heat source, it provides an even temperature at which you can cook food thoroughly and efficiently.
Cooking with the gas cooktop often provides a more consistent result to your meal too. Moreover, gas cooktops are the both amateur's and professional chef's first choice.
Table of Contents
- Quick Comparison: Top 5 Best Gas Cooktops in 2020
- 10 Best Gas Cooktop Reviews:
- 1. Thor Kitchen 6 Burner Gas Cooktop
- 2. Frigidaire Best 5 Burner Downdraft Gas Cooktop
- 3. Bosch 30" Stainless Steel Gas Sealed Burner Cooktop
- 4. Frigidaire 30" 4 Burner Gas Cooktop
- 5. Empava 30" Stainless Steel 5 Burner Stove Top Gas Cooktop
- 6. Empava 36" Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
- 7. KITCHENAID 30" Gas Stove Top
- 8. Bosch 36" Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
- 9. Cosmo 30 inch 5 Burners Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
- 10. Ramblewood 4 Burner 24 inch Natural Gas Cooktop
- What To Look For When Buying a Gas Cooktop?
- Features of High-quality Gas Cooktop
- Advantages of Using a Gas Cooktop
- The Right Way To Clean a Gas Stovetop
- How to Clean a Downdraft Cooktop?
- Types of Gas Cooktops
- Top Gas Cooktop Brands
- What is Highest BTU Burner?
- What is Lowest BTU Burner?
- Burner Configuration
- Why Many Cooks Love Gas Cooktops?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- So, What would be the Best Gas Cooktop for Your Kitchen
Quick Comparison: Top 5 Best Gas Cooktops in 2020
10 Best Gas Cooktop Reviews:
1. Thor Kitchen 6 Burner Gas Cooktop
- Your purchase includes Thorkitchen Pro-Style Gas Rangetop with 6 Burners | Natural Gas only | Gas Convertible kit not included
- Gas Range top dimensions – 36” W x 28.38” D x 8.72" H | Required Cutout Size – 36” W x 24.77” D x 7.3” H | Voltage – 120 | Frequency – 60 Hz | Adjustable Range legs – ½” |...
1. Six Sealed Burners with up to 18,000 BTU
This model features six sealed burners. Two of the six burners have power up to BTU, one dual burner has 15,000 BTU, and there are three single burners that have 12,000 BTUs.
The six burners sit close to one another and are all the same size. Their range of BTU power may be great for tasks from simmering to boiling.
2. Stainless Steel Construction
The main components of this 6 burner gas cooktop are made from stainless steel. This material can make the cooktop easy to clean up, and will resist wear and tear. Staining is also minimal with stainless steel.
3. Cast Iron Grates
Quality cast iron grates are part of this package. They are listed as "heavy duty" and can withstand high temperatures. With proper care they are easy to clean.
4. Black Porcelain Drip Pans
Black porcelain drip pans add an attractive element to this gas cooktop. The color complements the surrounding stainless steel and blends in with the black cast iron grates. This creates a uniform look from above. Black can look very sleek in the kitchen.
5. Six Control Knobs
These dials are made from a zinc alloy that is easy to read at a glance. They are also easy to clean. Each knob features a small diagram so you know exactly which burner you are turning up or down.
6. Two-Year Warranty and Professional Installation Option
This particular model comes with a two-year warranty that accounts for parts and labor. There is also an option to have this cooktop professionally installed for an extra fee. These elements make it the perfect cooktop for gas out there.
- Black porcelain drip pans match black grates
- Two-year warranty
- Option for professional installation
- High BTU range for quicker cooking
- Sealed burners for extra safety
- Cast iron grates
- Responsive customer service
- Beautiful construction
- Lighter than more expensive models
- Offers professional appearance and functionality
- Control panel is pretty sparse
- Little space between burners
- Mix of stainless steel and porcelain drip pans may not be ideal style-wise
2. Frigidaire Best 5 Burner Downdraft Gas Cooktop
- Your purchase includes One Frigidaire Professional 30-Inch Gas Cooktop; Cooking Griddle & Liquid Propane Gas Conversion Kit included
- Cooktop dimensions – 4-1/4” H x 30” W x 21-3/4” D; Cut/out dimensions – 28-1/4” to 28-5/8” W x 19-3/8” to 19-3/4” D x 8” H; Volta rating – 120V 60 Hz; Electronic Ignition –...
1. Five Burners with BTU Power up to 18,200 BTU
With five burners, this model increases your versatility in the kitchen by adding a griddle in the middle.
The middle burner can fire up to 18,200 BTUs for powerful cooking, and the other four downdraft burners also provide functionality.
2. Liquid Propane Conversion Kit
If you do not have natural gas, this model comes with a conversion kit that can be adapted to propane gas. It is also equipped to accommodate natural gas.
3. Distinctive Style
The overhead appearance of this cooktop is striking and modern. The silvery color of the stainless steel and symmetry of the grates can look appealing in any kitchen.
4. Stainless Steel All-Over Construction
You can rarely go wrong with stainless steel. A durable material that lasts for a long time without showing wear, stainless steel can look attractive. It also lends a contemporary look to any appliance.
5. Continuous Grates
A big plus for any cook, continuous grates make for easy maneuvering on the stove. These grates are also dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning.
6. Informative Controls
Not only do these dials have a diagram demonstrating which burner they're operating, they also have incremental notches. With this added feature you can get the heat level just right.
- Comes with liquid propane conversion kit
- Continuous grates make for easy cooking
- Stylish modern design is appealing
- The middle griddle and grill feature adds versatility
- The BTU power range is useful for all kinds of cooking
- Control dials are easy to see and understand
- Burners are sealed for extra safety
- 30" cooktop offers plenty of space
- Easy to clean
- Looks professional
- May not fit your space
- Does not come with drip pans
- Griddle may be unnecessary according to your cooking habits
3. Bosch 30" Stainless Steel Gas Sealed Burner Cooktop
1. Continuous Grates with Distinctive Design
The continuous grates on this model have a beautiful modern design. The horizontal broken lines provide visual interest for anyone observing your gas stovetop.
2. Striking Stainless Steel
Stainless steel looks professional and sleek, and it's easy to wipe down.
3. Five Sealed Burners
One large burner in the middle makes way for four smaller corner burners. All of the burners in this unit have a sealed flame. That can prevent food or debris getting near the flame and keep everything clean.
4. Large, Durable Controls
The knobs are made of metal, which blend in well with the stainless steel. They are large and easy to turn.
5. Easy to Clean
This model can be wiped down easily due to the materials used, such as stainless steel. The continuous grates also make for quicker cleaning since they can be removed as one piece.
6. Up to 18,200 BTUs
The largest burner uses 18,200 BTUs. This high energy output is ideal for high-heat tasks like boiling, frying and searing. The other four burners are simmer burners, which can accommodate lower heat cooking methods.
- Easy to wipe down and clean
- Five burner set-up has attractive symmetry
- Stainless steel adds value to kitchen
- Middle burner has a 18,200 BTU capability
- The 30 inch model maximizes its space
- Continuous grates makes sliding pots and pans around easy
- Sealed burners are extra safe
- Control dials don't interrupt the design
- Grates have a contemporary style
- Burners heat pots and pans consistently
- Some staining or scorching may occur
- One of the smaller cooktops
- Warranty is unclear
4. Frigidaire 30" 4 Burner Gas Cooktop
1. Four Sealed Burners
These four burners gas stovetop make the most of the smaller space. Fewer burners in a 30" cooktop mean larger pots and pans can be used. This layout may be ideal for cooks who use fewer burners at once.
2. Stainless Steel Look
The modern appeal of stainless steel is one of this model's advantages. This model also has a simple, understated appeal.
3. Continuous Cast Iron Grates
Continuous grates make moving heavy pots and pans around easy. When wiping down your unit, continuous grates lift out as one piece. This advantage can make cleanup a snap.
4. High Heat Output
Though there are only four burners, they are capable of providing plenty of energy for your cooking needs.
5. Matching Knobs
The control dials match the stainless steel construction. They are easy to read and grasp.
The simplicity of the four burners knock the price down a bit while still providing functionality.
- Continuous grates for moving those heavy dishes with ease
- Stainless Steel provides a professional look
- The BTUs are good for a four-burner model
- Knobs match the stainless steel
- The price is right with good functionality
- Durable and long-lasting
- Burners are sealed
- Provides a high-end look
- Simplicity highlights stylish design
- The Frigidaire name is reputable.
- May come with missing parts
- Knobs may not be true stainless steel
- Highest BTU burner output is 15,000
5. Empava 30" Stainless Steel 5 Burner Stove Top Gas Cooktop
- Designed and Engineered in USA with 2 Years US Based Manufacture DOUBLES the usual industry for an exceptional quality Empava stove top
- LPG/NG Convertible (Both Nozzles Included) delivers the same maximum BTU power to propane and natural gas cooktops – Works manually w/o electricity Capable for multi-purpose such as RVs light...
1. Usable with Propane or Natural Gas
This model comes with tools and accessories that can accommodate either propane or natural gas.
2. Modern design
The "mod" look of this gas cooktop is appealing, and is easily cleaned.
3. Good for Mobile Campers or RVs
If you need the best gas cooktop with manual operation, this model may be of interest to you.
4. Auto-Shutoff Safety Features
If a flame fails to ignite, the safety features shut off the gas automatically to prevent any gas from leaking into your home.
5. Five Sealed Burners with Variety of Sizes
These five burners come in different sizes to meet every possible cooking need.
6. Easy-to-Read Controls
Not only do these dials have a small location diagram, they also indicate the height of the flame, which is convenient at a glance.
- Easily readable dial knobs
- Five sealed burners
- Modern appearance
- Manual operation capability
- Gas will be automatically shut off in case of flame failure
- Cast iron grates
- Stainless steel construction
- Can be hooked up to natural or propane gas
- Good customer service
- Easy to assemble and install
- No continuous grates
- Less area on burners to place pots and pans
- Low BTU output overall
6. Empava 36" Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
- Designed and Engineered in USA with 2 Years US Based Manufacture , DOUBLES the usual industry for an exceptional quality Empava stove top.
- LPG/NG Convertible (Both Nozzles Included) delivers the same maximum BTU power to propane and natural gas cooktops – Works manually w/o electricity. Capable for multi-purpose such as RVs, light...
1. Five Sealed Burners
These five sealed burner gas cooktop is a good size for all your cooking needs. The highest BTU burner is 12,000 BTU and the lowest is 4,000 BTUs.
2. Dishwasher-Safe Cast Iron Grates
The edge-to-edge cast iron grates can be removed and placed in the dishwasher for super easy cleaning.
3. Convertible to Propane or Natural Gas
This model comes with hookups for either natural gas or propane. It also can be operated manually, without electricity.
4. Safety Features
If the flame every has problems igniting, an auto-shutoff mechanism will prevent dangerous gas leaks before they start.
5. Big Size for Maximum Cooking Area
Whether you have a big kitchen or big plans, the 36" surface will provide you with plenty of space.
6. Stainless Steel Provides Easy Cleanup
Not only does stainless steel look professional, it's durable and easy to wipe down.
- Stainless steel construction
- Edge-to-edge cast iron grates that are dishwasher-safe
- Good size and roomy surface area
- Safety features like auto-shutoff
- Convertible to either propane or natural gas
- Easy to clean and wipe down
- Sealed burners are safe and clean
- Five burner setup provides versatility
- Two-year warranty on parts
- Can be used manually
- Burners may take a while to turn on
- Low flame is not too low
- BTUs are good but not the highest on the market
7. KITCHENAID 30" Gas Stove Top
1. Five Sealed burners
Five sealed burners of differing sizes and BTU powers offer versatility to your cooking routine.
2. Edge-to-Edge Horizontal Cast Iron Grates
These cast iron grates have a great modern look that keeps everything in straight, horizontal lines.
3. Stainless Steel
A stainless steel base makes this model shine, and it also has a contemporary look.
4. Metal Knobs
The control dials match the stainless steel and are staggered for an aesthetically pleasing design.
5. High BTU Burner Capability
The middle burner has a powerful 17,000 BTU capability, which can make for quick cooking.
6. Simmer Burners
The lowest BTU burner is a simmer burner that runs at 5,000 BTU, perfect for low-heat cooking.
- Cast iron grates run edge-to-edge
- Solid stainless steel base construction
- Knobs match the rest of the unit and have a pleasing layout
- The middle burner provides a powerful 17,000 BTUs
- Affordable yet professional-looking model
- Five sealed burners make cleanup easier
- KitchenAid is a reliable name in the industry
- Flame conducts heat evenly
- Simmer burners enable you to cook at lower temperatures
- Electric ignition for convenience
- Grates may be too high for flame
- Edge-to-edge grates may not be the same as continuous grates
- Knobs may not be stainless steel
8. Bosch 36" Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
1. Continuous Grates with Style
These cast iron grates stretch the whole way across the surface area of the cooktop.
2. Five Sealed Burners
Five sealed burners facilitate easy cleaning and safe use.
3. Controls with Contrasting Color
The control dials are metal, but they are black in color for a striking appearance.
4. Stainless Steel Base
The cooktop is made from stainless steel, a durable material.
5. Powerful 16,000 BTU Burner
The largest burner has a 16,000 BTU capability for boiling and frying.
6. Easy Cleanup
This model can be disassembled easily for quick cleaning.
- Continuous cast iron grates
- Stainless steel base
- Largest burner features 16,000 BTUs
- Can be taken apart easily for cleaning
- Five sealed burners offer maximum versatility
- Easy to install
- Looks sleek and streamlined
- Offers professional functionality
- Black knobs complement cast iron grates
- Plenty of cooktop space
- Some discoloration around burners may occur
- May not be best for high heat cooking
- Customer service may be poor
9. Cosmo 30 inch 5 Burners Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop
- 5 SEALED BURNERS: 5 high performance sealed burners for a variety of cooking options, including a 16,000 BTU Burner, an 8,500 BTU Burner, two 6,800 Burners, and a 5,000 BTU Burner
- MODERN AND STYLISH: Designed to perform as well as it looks. A sleek stainless steel cooktop surface makes cleanup easy
1. Unique Five Burner Configuration
Instead of being in the middle, the largest burner is on the left.
2. Superior BTU Power and Flame Control
The largest burner has an output of 16,000 BTUs. The smaller burners have a rapid-fire ignition for quicker heating.
3. Stainless Steel Construction
Stainless steel base enables quick and easy cleaning.
4. Control Knobs that are Heat-Resistant
The metal dials match the rest of the unit and will not melt.
5. Cast Iron Grates
The grates are cast iron and are continuous.
6. Affordable Price Tag
This model comes at a much lower price than other cooktops on the market.
- Affordable yet functional
- Control dials that resist melting
- Stainless steel base
- Cast iron grates
- Unique set up with largest burner on left side
- Burners have rapid-fire ignition for quicker heating
- Includes installation options
- Five-year limited warranty
- Comes well-packaged
- Strong BTUs help faster cooking
- May have a dip in the middle
- May not be sturdy as some other models
- Ignition may not work on the first try
10. Ramblewood 4 Burner 24 inch Natural Gas Cooktop
- Natural gas type......FREE SHIPPING.
- 4 sealed burners. Electric ignition, 110V AC input. Max. Power per burner: 9500 BTU + 5000BTU + 5000 BTU + 2800 BTU
1. Four Sealed Burners
Small but powerful, these four burners pack a punch. The highest BTU on this unit is 9,500 BTU.
2. Compact 24" Design Ideal for Small Spaces
Small but mighty, this cooktop can fit into smaller counters and kitchens.
3. Safety Features
To prevent possible gas leaks, this unit features auto-shutoff and flame detection. Multiple safety features make it the top rated gas cooktop on this list.
4. Energy Efficient
Lighting flames with electric ignition, this cooktop uses less electricity and gas than other comparable models.
5. Cast Iron Grates
Cast iron grates add to the functionality and beauty of your kitchen.
6. Stainless Steel Base
A contemporary component of any modern kitchen, stainless steel is a durable and long-lasting material.
- Stainless steel
- Cast iron grates
- Conserves gas and electricity
- Multiple safety features
- Small size can fit almost any kitchen space
- Good for natural gas hookups
- One-year warranty
- Good customer service
- Easy to grasp control knobs
- Great for simmering and low-heat cooking
- Lower BTUs mean less capability for high-heat cooking
- Small cooking area can be limiting
- No conversion kit for propane
What To Look For When Buying a Gas Cooktop?
So, what exactly should you keep an eye out for when shopping for the best gas cooktop? There are several points to consider.
1. Safety Features
When dealing with any kind of fuel source, it's always good to have safety features that prevent accidents. Some of the top-rated gas cooktops offer automatic shut-off features.
The construction of a gas cooktop can also contribute to the safety of the product. Control panels that are up high and near the burners can help childproof a gas cooktop, for example.
2. Cast Iron Trivets and Drip Pans
Cast iron trivets are durable and easy to clean. Because they stand up to any level of heat without warping or discoloring, cast iron trivets are preferred by many chefs.
They also look attractive. Drip pans can come in handy in the cleanup process. They catch unwanted grease and grime, and can be wiped down easily.
Be sure to measure your stove to see what size range you will need. You also will want to consider how big or small a range you will want when cooking.
If you are used to cooking several things at once, you may want to opt for a larger model with more burners. More space means more cooking versatility.
4. BTU Power
BTU stands for British Thermal Unit, and it's the unit of measurement of how much heat energy can be generated in a gas range.
BTU power can be the make or break element of a gas range cooktop. Because it's a measurement of fuel energy, your cooktop's BTU range should fit within the specifications of your existing outlet or gas line.
The level of BTU can also determine how quickly burners heat up and how steady the flame will be once turned on.
Burners come in all types and sizes on any of the professional gas range cooktop models. Large burners generally heat up faster, but if you use nonstick cookware a lot, these may offer too much heat too fast.
Likewise, wok burners are great for stir-frying or boiling liquid, but may offer too high a heat for other dishes. Simmer burners and medium burners operate on a lower heat and can be adjusted according to your needs.
6. Dials and Controls
Choice is important when it comes to cooking with gas. Dials that involve flame height, heat temperature, and a cook timer are all controls that may be important to you.
Having controls that are easy to read and understand is also helpful. Glancing at a dial and being able to immediately read it can save a lot of time and avoid confusion.
7. Individual Grates vs. Continuous Grates
Grates keep your pots and pans raised above the flame while providing space for heat to cook your food evenly.
Continuous grates allow you to maneuver heavy pots and pans around with minimal lifting. They are usually easier to clean, too, since they lift up as one piece. Individual grates can be convenient if you usually only use one burner at a time.
Some of the gas cooktops have a distinctive style that can match your overall kitchen design. Some grates and burners are made to look sleeker and simpler, whereas more traditional cooktop ranges have a more ornate finish. The look of your gas cooktop can make a statement in your kitchen, so choose wisely.
Features of High-quality Gas Cooktop
- A variety of burner types
- A high BTU range
- Cast iron grates for sturdy construction
- Controls that allow for temperature control and flame height
- A size that fits your stove
- Hookups that accommodate natural or propane gas
- Burners and grates that are easy to clean
- Safety measures to prevent emergencies
- Aesthetic appeal for your kitchen
Advantages of Using a Gas Cooktop
There are many advantages and benefits to using a gas stove cooktop. Here are just a few of them.
- The high-quality gas cooktop models cook food evenly and consistently. A flame can be managed much more closely than electric heat, and can be adjusted to precise cooking requirements.
- They are easy to clean and maintain. Gas cooktops are generally straightforward when it comes to cleaning, and most come with instructions.
- Your kitchen's value is enhanced with the addition of a gas cooktop. Most cooks, whether they are a professional or amateur, prefer cooking with gas. They also like the aesthetic appeal of a gas cooktop stove.
- They can be more energy efficient in the long run. If environmental issues top your list of concerns, propane and natural gas offer more efficient options than electric.
- They often offer more safety features than electric or induction cooktops.
The Right Way To Clean a Gas Stovetop
Make sure all burners are turned off before you start cleaning.
Remove the grates. Also remove the burner caps while you're at it. Place these items into a sink or basin of soapy water to soak while you clean the rest of your cooktop.
With a soapy paper towel or sponge, wipe down your cooktop. Make sure you clean up all debris and grease.
Lift up the fuel ports if possible and clean any debris from them with a small, dry paintbrush or toothbrush. This will keep your fuel ports cleared from any possible blockages.
Scrub your grates and burner caps in the soapy water. Dry them, and also make sure your stove top is dry. Replace the burner caps and grates in the reverse order you removed them. Your cooktop should be nice and clean for the next use.
How to Clean a Downdraft Cooktop?
The downdraft gas cooktop models feature a venting system that draws smoke and cooking odors down through the stove top. This differs from overhead ventilation systems that draw smoke and odors upward.
In downdraft models, these odors are then taken down through a pipe that runs through the floor or lower cabinetry and released outside.
To clean, remove this vent according to your unit's instructions. Soak the vent in soapy water, and scrub it down to remove grease and grime. If your vent is stainless steel, use appropriate stainless steel cleaners and scrub pads.
It's a good idea to clean the downdraft vent before you clean the stove top. That way, if any crumbs or grime drops down onto your grates or burners, you can avoid cleaning your cooktop twice. This can help keep even the gas cooktop with a downdraft clean.
Types of Gas Cooktops
Stainless steel is probably the most common material used when building gas cooktops. This material can withstand high heat without risk of melting or warping, and it is easy to clean and wipe down.
Stainless steel is also a highly desirable material in any modern kitchen for its sleek and shiny appearance that never fades.
Tempered glass creates a unique look in the kitchen. While the grates are usually made out of cast iron, the stove top itself is made of glass, which makes for easy cleaning.
Keeping glass looking spotless is a snap. However, it's necessary to be careful to not drop anything heavy on this surface. This may risk breakage or cracking.
Most cooks like continuous grates on a gas cooktop because it allows for easy maneuvering when cooking. If needed, you can slide pots and pans around with ease.
Continuous grates are also great for clumsy cooks who may accidentally tip over dishes or pans due to uneven grates, or for anyone who uses large pots and pans.
Some cooktops feature a griddle, which can be used for frying or grilling. A griddle can add versatility to your gas range cooktop. Usually these cooktops have a high energy output with a higher BTU rate.
Top Gas Cooktop Brands
Frigidaire is a well-known name in kitchen appliances in the United States. In business since the early 1900s, Frigidaire got its start making refrigerators.
It has since expanded its products to include things like stoves, air conditioners, washing machines, and gas cooktops. This brand is a household name, and the quality of its products can be trusted.
Bosch is a technology company whose interests range from cars to washing machines and nearly everything in between. Established in 1906, Bosch makes reliable appliances that are designed to make life easier.
This brand is also committed to integrated designs and functionality to make each item, including gas cooktops.
Empava is a newer company that offers a range of appliances for the home, including gas stoves and cooktops. They offer online customer support online 24 hours a day, and offer a money-back guarantee.
Their products promise to be made of the most cutting-edge materials with the latest styles.
4. Thor Kitchen
Based in California, Thor Kitchen specializes in providing quality stainless steel kitchen appliances. They offer a two-year warranty on most of their products.
Due to their commitment to offering fair prices, they strive to bring professional appliances to every type of cook out there.
KitchenAid is another company that is a household name. Over the years this company has expanded their product line to include everything from major appliances to small cooking aids.
However, that doesn't mean they skimp on quality. In business since 1919, KitchenAid is a name that can be relied upon for fair prices and high quality.
6. Cosmo Appliances
Cosmo Appliances is a relatively new name in the culinary world. They are committed to providing cutting-edge technology and a modern sensibility to kitchen appliances.
These principles extend to gas cooktops. A maker of luxury items, Cosmo Appliances promises the very high in quality and variety.
Ramblewood is a brand that is interested in green technology. Based in Colorado, this company is relatively new on the culinary scene, but they have a bold approach to cooktops.
Specializing in induction and gas cooktops, Ramblewood has a range of designs meant to fulfill any cook's design and functionality dreams.
What is Highest BTU Burner?
The highest BTU burner ranges from 15,000 BTUs to 25,000 BTU for gas stoves installed in homes. These types of burners use up more gas and are often more expensive. They can cook faster, however, and make searing and frying a breeze.
What is Lowest BTU Burner?
Typically, the lowest BTU burner usually ranges anywhere from 3,500 BTUs to 10,000 BTUs. These simmer burners may be better for cooking things like sauces or broths, or anything that needs a low and slow cook time. Most foods cooked on these burners do not require boiling or searing.
The placement of the burners on a gas cooktop comes down to your preferences. Consider how you cook.
Do you usually have many things going at one time, or do you like to concentrate on one thing at a time?
Do you often find yourself moving pots and pans around? Do you do a lot of frying or grilling? Each of these questions can go into choosing the right cooktop.
Having more burners for more pots and pans may be ideal if you often cook several things at once.
A griddle in the middle could be good if you want the option. Some stoves provide the highest and hottest burners in the middle of the cooktop and the simmer burners toward the corners.
Consider what your preferences are when shopping for your gas cooktop and what configuration perfectly fits your needs.
Why Many Cooks Love Gas Cooktops?
- Consistency and control - Gas cooktops offer consistency and control when cooking. Unlike with electric or other heat sources, a flame can be dialed back or increased as needed, and you can see the results. Gas cooktops take the mystery and guesswork out of cooking.
- Versatility - The best gas stove top can increase a cook's options. For example, if you wish to blister peppers, you may put the vegetable into the flame itself and cook it accordingly. Though this method may be less-used than the typical pots and pans, it's a nice option to have.
- Faster heating - Quicker cook times save time and make meal preparation more efficient.
- Energy efficient - Gas cooktops use less energy for a shorter time, making them a good investment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the popular 30 inch gas cooktop?
Answer: Empava 30" Stainless Steel 5 Italy Sabaf Burners Stove Top. This model not only has the size you need, but provides a sleek appearance and professional functionality. It also comes with a conversion kit in case you don't have natural gas.
Q. What is the top downdraft gas cooktop?
Answer: Frigidaire Professional 30 Inch Stainless Steel 5-Burner. While it does not have the blower, it has the vents and parts necessary to adapt a cooktop to a downdraft ventilation system.
Q. Which is better, a ceramic cooktop or induction cooktop?
Answer: Ceramic cooktops use a coiled heating element to distribute heat, but some of the energy is wasted. Some of the heat in a ceramic cooktop is diffused into the surface of the cooktop instead of the pan.
In an induction cooktop, however, heat is concentrated on the pot or pan, leading to quicker cook times and more energy efficiency.
Q. Which is better, an electric or gas cooktop?
Answer: Though both have their pros and cons, nothing beats a gas cooktop in the opinion of most chefs and home cooks. Gas cooktops are generally more fuel efficient, and they cook food evenly and consistently every time.
Preparing meals goes faster with a gas cooktop, and cleanup is easy. Most gas cooktops come with safety features for peace of mind too.
Q. Are gas cooktops safe?
Answer: Yes. Common sense also goes a long way when working with a gas cooktop. Make sure your sleeves are short or tucked away, and be sure to pull back your hair if it is long.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a low risk, and safety features on gas cooktops are designed to prevent this from being an issue.
Q. Do downdraft vents work?
Answer: Downdraft vents work to pull odors and any smoke away from the kitchen. They work efficiently and remove the need for an awkward or unattractive top mount vent or hood.
While they are not necessary for your gas cooktop, vents help keep your kitchen free of unpleasant or unwanted smells. The high-quality gas cooktop with downdraft vents should work quickly and quietly.
Q. What is the most popular brand for gas cooktop?
Answer: The popular gas cooktop brand seems to be Frigidaire. This brand is well-known for its quality, and it has been around for over a century.
Frigidaire makes quality cooktops in a variety of styles that are affordable, which is an extra bonus. Also, each of their units comes with a warranty in case something goes wrong. They also offer installation option when purchasing.
Q. What is the cooktop if I cant have gas?
Answer: An induction cooktop is probably the right option if gas is not available to you. Like in a gas cooktop, an induction cooktop allows for more precise heating than electric and is more energy efficient.
Induction also provides quick heating times and consistent cooking. With induction, all the heat goes to your pots and pans, not the surface of the stove.
Q. Are gas cooktops more dangerous than electric or induction cooktops?
Answer: The main risk of gas stoves are malfunctions that can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. Small children, long hair and flowing sleeves are also things you want to keep away from a gas cooktop.
However, gas cooktops often come with several safety features to combat any accidents. In some ways they can be safer than other types of cooktops because of our five senses. You can usually see and hear if a burner is on, unlike in an electric or induction cooktop.
Q. Do gas cooktops require more ventilation than electric cooktops?
Answer: Generally, no. Gas cooktops do not require any more ventilation than any other type of cooktop. Mostly the ventilation available for gas cooktops is meant to remove any smoke or food odors from the kitchen that result from cooking.
Ventilation is not required due to anything related to the combustion of the gas or byproducts from the propane or natural gas.
Q. What are BTUs and what do they mean for cooking?
Answer: BTU is the abbreviation for British Thermal Unit, and is a measurement for heat energy. The higher the BTU count, the more gas is used.
A higher BTU can assist in quicker cooking or for cooking methods that require a higher heat, like boiling or frying. A lower BTU isn't a bad thing, it only means the burner is meant for lower-heat cooking.
Q. What are the advantages of gas over electric cooktops?
Answer: Gas cooktops are generally more energy efficient. Cooking with gas also allows for a more even and consistent cook.
With gas, you can control not only the flame level but the BTU level, which means you can control how much fuel you are using. Cook times are usually reduced due to the ability of gas to heat a pan quickly.
Q. What is a sealed burner?
Answer: A sealed burner contains the flame within this seal. It cannot be seen or accessed during cooking or cleaning. Conversely, an open burner means the flame is open to the air.
A sealed burner is considered safer, especially for home use. It is also cleaner, because it prevents debris from getting near the flame.
Q. How many BTUs do I need in a cooktop?
Answer: The number of BTUs you will need in a cooktop depends largely on your cooking needs. If you frequently use all burners at once, you will probably want to go with a higher BTU cooktop.
The same principle fits if you do a lot of high-heat cooking or boiling, because that uses more BTUs. However, if you mostly simmer sauces or use fewer burners, a lower BTU cooktop may be for you.
Q. What's the difference between gas range tops and gas cooktops?
Answer: The biggest differences between range tops and cooktops are their control panel placement and their installation process. Range tops are usually larger and feature controls and dials on the front.
Cooktops, on the other hand, have the controls on the top of the unit. Though both can be installed into your counter, range tops are generally larger and require more space.
So, What would be the Best Gas Cooktop for Your Kitchen
Though there are many options with gas cooktops, the best gas cooktop seems to be the Frigidaire Professional 30 Inch Stainless Steel 5-Burner cooktop. This model provides the latest features regarding style, functionality, affordability and versatility in the kitchen.
Its five burners come in a diverse range of sizes, and there is a griddle-grill in the middle. The highest energy output is 18,200 BTU in the powerful center burner.
Formed in stainless steel with continuous black cast iron grates, this unit provides a professional look to any kitchen. Whether you are a chef with decades of experience or an amateur home cook, this model can add value and beauty to your kitchen.